As of a few days ago my DSL modem activity light rarely ever goes inactive
for long.

I am looking for any program anyone could recommend to monitor what's
going on.

Yesterday I added log options to all my IPFW rules to see if I could find
anything suspicious. I added log options even to pass rules and the amount
of activity in the DSL modem seems much more than what is reported by
IPFW rules.

The machine in question is a 4.9 Stable (as of Dec 29) and it acts as a
gateway to my other machines.

Is there is anything like TOP for TCP/IP?
I saw ntop in ports, but it seems only analyzes LAN/internal subnet.