Justin Baugh wrote:

I did some testing. I wrote a small program in C to fork off a specified number of processes and leave them there. I find that I can run exactly 39 processes as qmaild before tcpserver begins to barf, saying it cannot fork.

So, after much testing & debugging:

* The problem only happens with tcpserver
* The problem is not replicable in any way under 5.2.1R
* The problem happens with any service/user with tcpserver, not just
  qmail-smtpd/qmaild

I set up a testbed on my home box with a vanilla qmail install, and I wasn't able to get it to choke up. As a workaround (until I can upgrade the other box to 5.2.1R) I am running qmail through xinetd /
tcpwrappers (heresy, I know), and all is well.

For reference, the box in question was at 5.1-RELEASE-p10, the vendor-supplied version.

Thanks,

-Justin