Matthew Seaman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> On Sun, Mar 14, 2004 at 05:37:56PM +0100, Kai Grossjohann wrote:
>
>> I wonder if this could be made easier.  I'd be surprised if there
>> wasn't a method of doing binary upgrades already.  For example, if we
>> decided to track releases, would that enable us to do binary upgrades
>> using sysinstall, say?  I vaguely remember having seen an upgrade
>> option in there...
>
> http://www.daemonology.net/freebsd-update

Yes, being able to install security updates is a cool thing.  I've now
installed it and read the freebsd-update(8) and freebsd-update.conf(5)
man pages.

Alas, I don't grok it, yet.

  - Is the intent that I can make my own server?  Or is it "just" a
    convenient way to receive binary upgrades for releases?  (I put
    the quotes there because I think it is not a small feat.)

  - If I'm supposed to be able to make my own server, how to put stuff
    there?

  - What does it do with config files during the upgrade?  (Actually,
    I think for me it would be sufficient for the thing to install
    default config files -- I've got cfengine to handle the rest...)

  - Can it upgrade from one version to another, or is it for security
    fixes only?

Regardless of the answers, however, I can already see that it will
help us tremendously: we just install a release, then let
freebsd-update handle the rest for the base system.  And for the
ports, we think of another way, such as the "portupgrade -avRPP"
command that I mentioned before.

Now the only thing missing is my ability to convince them ;-)

Kai