Guys,

Thanks for the tips.

I don't think the problem is with the drive itself overheating for the
following reasons:

First, I tried the touch-test you suggested and the drive seems warm, but
definitely not hot.

Second, I think the front case fan is doing a pretty good job.  When I put my
hand on the drive there was a pretty good breeze blowing right around the
drive itself.

Finally, when I start running into problems and the drive gets really bad
(restarting constantly), I can't even run the WD diagnostic tool, but I can
immediately swap the drive out into another system and run the diagnostic
tool without any problems.

Oh, and Mark, to answer your question, the WD diagnostic tool states that it

"allows you to test the drive, print results for last drive tested, repair
errors found during the Test Drive option and write zeros to the drive."

But, they obviously do something more than that because when I'm having
problems and fsck won't mark the filesystem as clean, I can run WD's
diagnostic tool, it will report there were no errors found, but fsck will be
able to complete now.

Here are potential problems that I haven't ruled out:

- - general M/B problem requiring a replacement M/B
- - a problem with the on-board IDE controller whether it's overheating or some
other problem
- - a problem with the power supply (this is stab in the dark, but I've seen
rare VCore spikes with xmbon but I have no idea if this would only affect the
drive)

I replaced the side panel on my case for the first time in about a year.  The
CPU and memory temperatures are up a few degrees, but I'll leave it on for
awhile anyway.  I also did my best to position cables out of the way to allow
good air flow.

I also might try to buy a cheap IDE controller and see if that helps.

Again, thanks for your suggestions.  If I find a solution I'll make sure to
pass it on.

Joey