Hi Matthew,

Really appreciate your advice....
I also have check with my friends here....he also suspect that it might be hardware memory problem.

Regards, Suhaimi

Matthew Seaman wrote:

On Tue, Mar 30, 2004 at 10:58:13AM +0100, Matthew Seaman wrote:

On Tue, Mar 30, 2004 at 05:45:11PM +0800, Suhaimi Jamalludin wrote:

I got some question regarding FreeBSD.
Today I just install FreeBSD 5.2-RELEASE from CD. Then I cvsup port-all tag=. to the current one and complete the portupgrade -arR for update.
I want to setup LDAP+SAMBA3. Then I install all the required ports. Then After I install samba-devel. my system going crazy it give me all these core dumped error.

A) Why this happen?
B) How to check what is wrong with my system?

Can some body advice me...Please....

Either you have hardware problems, or (and this seems to me more
likely in this case) you chose the wrong time to pull down the
5-CURRENT sources.

Ooops. I'm sorry -- I misread your e-mail. You cvsuped ports to HEAD, which is correct, and not the system as I seemed to have accused you of doing. Apologies.

I'm afraid that means the bad hardware theory is prime suspect.  It
does sound like you've blown a memory chip or some such.  You can try
running a few passes of memtest86 -- see http://www.memtest86.com/ --
which will confirm the failure if it finds anything wrong.  Swap out
memory sticks to see if you can isolate the problem.

What I said about 5-CURRENT and the various releases in my previous
messages is correct, but irrelevant.  However, once you've got your
system running stably again, do think about cvsup'ing and upgrading to
5.2.1-RELEASE-p4 (which you can do in a sing make buildworld cycle
from 5.2-RELEASE I should think, as they are both taken from the
RELENG_5_2 branch).  There have been some nasty security bugs
announced recently, and 5.2.1 was released in part because of some
nasty (non-security) bugs in 5.2.

Cheers,

Matthew