On Monday 05 April 2004 02:03 pm, Gerry Freymann wrote:

>  Yes, worked here fine with only SAMBA as additional selections from the
> defaults.

>  I have both:
>
> glib-1.2.10_10                      =   up-to-date with port
> glib-2.2.3_1                        =   up-to-date with port

>  Hmmm, and it's Mozilla that I was trying to update in the first place.
>
>  Thanks to a note from Michael Nottebrock about 2 weeks ago, I'm told a
> good way to upgrade KDE is to:
>
> pkg_delete -f quanta\* kdevelop\* kde\* arts\* qt\*
> pkg_add -r kde
>
>  My version of KDE is 3.14 so to update kdelibs3 I'm pretty well looking
> at having to update all of KDE, right?
>
>  Thanks again for the reply.
>
> -Gerry

It's easy to get lost in the syncing mess.

I'm running 4.9 STABLE, that was originally installed from a FreeBSD 4.7 CD.
I've kept the system updated via cvsup; but twice have cleaned/sync'd the
system up as follows:

0. Make backups of system and dump files for version-sensitive objects such as
database files, etc.
1. Update the system via cvsup.
2. Compile and install updated system and kernel.
3. Get a list of installed packages using pkg_info.
4. From step 3, make a list of packages that I installed **explicitly**. (I
ignore dependencies -- pkg_add and ports will resolve these.)
5. From step 4, divide the list into packages to be compiled and packages that
can be installed using binaries.  (I only compile a couple of apps.)
6. Write a script to install the packages (from binaries) via 'pkg_add -r'
7. Delete all packages using 'pkg_delete -a' and reboot.
8. Install python.  (I wrote the script in python.)
9. Reinstall packages using script in step 6.
10. Reinstall packages to be compiled manually from ports.

Steps 3-5 give me the opportunity to omit packages I no longer use.

I've used 'portupgrade -arRP'; but it still seems to compile a lot of packages
and it won't help me prepare for a clean jump to FreeBSD 5*.

I've been keeping the lists of packages up-to-date, on a floppy for when I
install FreeBSD 5* (STABLE).  I'll do a clean system installation; and then
I'll install the packages I want from the list.

Best of luck,

Andrew Gould