K & R is a good book.

For C++, Absolute C++ was my textbook last semester and I found it to be
pretty good.  Avoid the Deitel & Deitel C++ book.  It has a few good
reference chapters but covers material in a very choppy way.  Practical C++
programming from O'Reilley is a good book on C++ basics.  It covers I/O and
syntax well, but does not get into the OO elements of the language as much
as one would like.

Avoid the C++ Programing Language.  Although the book was written by the
author of C++, it is NOT a good reference.