On Tuesday 04 May 2004 07:31 am, J.D. Bronson wrote:

> > > How are these not different networks? Could you explain?
> > > What would I need to do to MAKE then different?
> >
> >They are on the same cable or wire. So, you only have one network.
> > For example, on this computer, I have a 192.168.x.x network and a
> > 207.41.x.x network. The 207. network is hooked up to my DSL modem
> > switch and the 192. network is connected to a different switch. All
> > of my local computers are hooked up to this network. They are
> > physically different networks.
> >
> >You have two logically different IP addresses but they are on the
> > same network.
> >
> >Kent
>
> ahh..NOW I understand. thanks.
>
> If I got a switch for the 192 block machines and a switch for the 10
> block machines that would be 2 distinct networks...right?
>
> Next question..
>
> Then how do I get data from one segment to the other w/o using a
> router and yet at the same time keeping 'arp' happy ?

In my case, I have a gateway that I call crystal, which has 2 NICs.
Crystal forwards and NATs all of my 192.x.x.x. traffic to my 207.x.x.x
NIC. Topaz, which also has 2 NICs, shares the DSL modem switch and is
also connected to the 192.x.x.x network with a 2nd NIC. Topaz is not
setup as a gateway and does not forward any 192. traffic to the 207.
NIC. Both crystal and topaz have static IP addresses in the 207. block.

There isn't any problem with crystal talking to topaz on either the 207.
network or the 192. network. The firewalls don't permit any in-bound
traffic such as telnet, ftp, ssh, and etc over the 207. network.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart
Richland, WA