David H. Ingham wrote:

Hopefully, a simple question.

I have set up a FreeBSD server to develop a web app for a client.

my system is:

FreeBSD Version 5.2

Apache Version 2.0.47

MySQL Version 4.0.16

MySQLCC Version 0.9.3

PHP Version 4.3.3

Now I am able to create the pages, (using Quanta 3.1.4).but I cannot view
them

from anywhere except the FreeBSD box.

Before I upgraded from FreeBSD 4.9 to 5.2, I could get to the site from my
W2K system,

using a VirtualHost setting and browsing to http://10.0.0.27:5000/login.php

Forgive me for not answering your question directly; I'm going to suggest something else; it's possibly better, and will eliminate a few issues regarding your network setup in general:

Why not try name-based virtual hosting?  Set up
the following in httpd.conf and restart Apache:

# # Use name-based virtual hosting. # NameVirtualHost *:80

   # VirtualHost example:
   # Almost any Apache directive may go into a VirtualHost container.
   # The first VirtualHost section is used for requests without a known
   # server name.
   #
   <VirtualHost *>
       ServerName my.examplesite.net
       DocumentRoot /path/to/mydocs
       ServerAdmin [EMAIL PROTECTED]
   # whatever else, log files, etc
  </VirtualHost>

Then set the hosts files on both server and
clients (esp. clients) something like:

# Dummy entries for intranet and test sites

       10.0.0.27   my.examplesite.net
       10.0.0.27   my.otherexample.org

Access the sites using the names you've
assigned...