I've been using FreeBSD 4.7-stable on a PIII box for a while. I tried for weeks to get the gnome1.4 desktop running but to no prevails. The problems i encountered were:
1) when gnome starts, it pop up a diaglog box saying
" unable to find host adress for.
please check the file /etc/hosts ...... blah blah blah"
Then it gave me choices to continue/ try again,
if i click try again, the diaglog box appear again & if i click continue, the blank desktop just freezed
2) My /etc/hosts file is OK, it looks like below: ::1 localhost localhost.my.domain 127.0.0.1 localhost localhost.my.domain
3) my X11 & windowmaker (Enlightenment) start just fine, but every time when i exit the
windowmaker, the same situation like problem 1) reappear.
4) the Xserver-error file in my home dir sounds like this: Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by server Xlib: No protocol specified Gtk-warning **: cannot open display: :0 SESSION_MANAGER=local/:tmp/.ICE-unix/274
5) do i need Openssh in order to run X11 &/ gnome1.4 ? just what's wrong with my gnome desktop ?
Many thanks for those who can help.
_________________________________________________________________ Download the latest MSN Messenger http://messenger.msn.com.my
_______________________________________________ [EMAIL PROTECTED] mailing list http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-questions To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[EMAIL PROTECTED]"