Danny MacMillan wrote:

This is normal behaviour.  The ports collection does not include
qt-x11-free-3.3.2.tar.bz2.  In broad terms, the ports collection does not
contain =any= software.  Rather, it contains instructions for obtaining and
building software to run on your FreeBSD system.  When you "make install" a
certain port A, it will first make those ports A depends on, and each port
THOSE ports depend on, and so on until it comes to a port that doesn't
depend on anything you don't already have installed.  It will recursively
traverse the dependencies until finally it is able to make the port you
asked it to make.

If I understand you correctly, this is an issue because your fetch is not
working through your authenticated ftp proxy.  I believe you're going to be
less frustrated dealing with that problem first.  Otherwise you'll have to
manually fetch every distfile for /usr/ports/x11/kde3 and all ports it
depends on, directly or indirectly, and that is a =lot= of files, presuming
you can manually retrieve these files.

You should also be aware that building a mega-package like kde from source
is quite a lengthy process, even on relatively fast hardware.  You may wish
instead to install binary packages.  Ordinarily a reference to pkg_add -r is
included at this point, but you may have trouble even with that unless and
until you get your ftp proxy issue resolved.

--
Danny

Thanks for the detailed response. I was confused because i stupidly assumed ports.tar.gz has everything.

I think i'll go with the packages now... and i'll get them from the cd...

Thanks again...