Robert Storey wrote:

You've encountered a well-known bug in the installer. I've experienced it too and so have many others.

During the install, when you're in the fdisk partition editor, just
hitting "g" is usually all you have to do to correct the bug. If you've
already installed, I'm not sure what you can do to correct the bug other
than go back and reinstall, this time hitting "g". There might be
another way to change disk geometry without doing that, but I don't know
how (anybody reading this know?).

After complaining about an incorrect geometry, sysinstall (or Fdisk) automatically enters the values it finds 'more appropriate' as the geometry. Hitting 'g' simply opens a dialog where I'm supposed to enter the geometry manually.