Hello all,
I tried to setup natd on my fbsd 5.2.1 box and fbsd 4.10 box with no luck. What I wanted to do was to setup a gateway for my internal network to my cable provider. On my server box I have two ethernet card dc0 pointing to cable modem and dc1 pointing to hub so that the other computers may connect with my bsd gateway. I managed recompile the kernel with options IPFIREWALL and IPDIVERT and kernel compiled successfully.

Then I add natd, gateway and firewall to my rc.conf file
gateway_enable="YES"
natd_enable="YES'
natd_interface="dc0"
firewall_enable="YES"
firewall_type="/etc/rc.firewall"

I wanted to ping an external and internal hosts to see if this configuration worked so I really didn't want to have the firewall up so I added these 3 lines to my rc.firewall file

/sbin/ipfw  -f flush
/sbin/ipfw add divert  natd all from any to any via dc0
/sbin/ipfw add pass from any to any

I wasn't able to ping any host inside or outside of my computer. When I disabled the ipfw I was able to ping them. Also I wanted to make sure if I needed to configure a dns server on my firewall to allow such services like http and ftp for internal hosts. I know that there are more sophisticated ipfw setups but I wanted to just get the natd setup so I could concentrate on the firewall later on.

Thanks if you can help Antoine W. Solomon