My suggestion would be to use tcpdump to examine the data flow. Watch what your browser sends to the http proxy, and then watch what htc sends to it. Probably will be different. Obviously htc thinks it is talking directly to hts, and thus is not speaking proper "http proxy" protocol. While I know some about how this works, I don't know alot. My guess is that httptunnel is not compatible with an proxies, unless the manpage or other documentation says otherwise, and provides a switch to modify the way it interacts with what it *thinks* is the hts (but is really an http proxy).

Hope this is helpful in a general/vague sort of way :-).

Robert Eckardt wrote:

Hello,

has someone got an idea, what I'm doing wrong?

I'm trying to get httptunnel to work via a proxy.
I have observed the following behaviour under FBSD-4.5R as well as
under 5.2.1R, with apache-2.0.48_1 as well as with apache-1.3.22_7
and with httptunnel-3.3 as well as with httptunnel-3.0.5.

Finally, I reduced it to the following setting:
(I tried different options for proxy-buffer size und -timeout without
any effect):

telnet 127.0.0.1 2023

   htc -F 2023 -P 127.0.0.1:80 127.0.0.1:8080
      httpd (as the proxy and at least my Netscape is happy)
         hts -F 127.0.0.1:23 8080

            telnetd

After the connect to htc I get no further reaction from telnet.
I can send a CR to htc, where it simply sits around. All connections
are in state ESTABLISHED, only the one to telnetd does not exist at
that time.

htc waits in a read for reply from the proxy, while hts at the same
time also waits for data from the proxy on the first of two connections.
The proxy has two connections open to either htc and hts, but in
the Log of hts there is only the first of them noted. (htc sent a POST
and a GET and waits now for the reply to the GET. The proxy, however,
sent the GET to hts on the second connection, whereas hts waits
in a read in the first one.)

Only after killing htc the proxy sends its data to hts, which then
in turn opens the connection to telnetd and (after stopping hts)
closes it again.

Has someone out there successfully got such a setting (httptunnel via a proxy) working?

How do I get httptunnel to get the proxy to forward the data
(POST-request) immediately?

Does anyone now of an alternative to httptunnel?
(I tried htun-0.9.5 but gave up as it's too hard Linux-style.)

Unneccessary to note, but without proxy the connection works fine.