Bernard Dugas wrote:

Hi,

Robert Downes a écrit :

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

I've tried to install the last freebds4.10 on an ASUS PUNDIT, from the iso images downloaded from the freeBSD website.
But it can't install. It stops on a :
"ata0 : resetting devices"

I had that problem. I disabled UDMA (Ultra DMA) in the BIOS, and the problem was overcome.

However, it ultimately turned out to be a bad data cable to the hard drive, so see if you've got a good spare lying around to give that a try. (I got some serious errors in 5.2.1 trying to use the bad cable).

Thanks very much, Robert, it was the udma option : but this is quite inefficient if I can't use UDMA with FreeBSD ?

Best regards,

I didn't see the beginning of the thread. But I had a similar problem on my desktop machine using (I think) 4.9-Release. It started when I had to change the motherboard. The new one came w/ an SiS chipset that wasn't supported by FreeBSD. I solved the problem by adding a line to /sys/dev/ata/ata-dma.c. It worked for a few weeks w/o any problems until I switched to RELENG_5_2 for various other reasons.
You might want to post what chipset your mainboard uses.

Phil.