On Thu, Jun 24, 2004 at 12:04:44PM -0500, Kirk Strauser wrote:
> On Thursday 2004-06-24 06:35 am, Karel J. Bosschaart wrote:
>
> > I'm looking for a commercial X server (for -current with Intel 845G)
> > but Xi graphics (www.xig.com) no longer has standard FreeBSD support
> > (only custom/OEM) and www.metrolink.com seems to be down while I couldn't
> > find a cached version of the site on Google.
>
> Is there any particular reason you specifically want to pay for it rather
> than installing, say, the x11/xorg port?

In the first place stability, and as a bonus maybe some speed-up. I'm
currently using the XFree86-4 port, and X screws up so often (daily) and
badly (no console, ctrl-alt-backspace useless) that I'd like to try
alternatives.

I'm also looking into other ways to improve performance: because hangs
happened almost exclusively while running OpenOffice I recompiled this
thingie. It seems to help until now but I haven't run it enough yet to be
sure.

BTW, if it were my own PC and not the PC of my employer I would simply
put in another video card and disable the onboard 845G. Anyway I wouldn't
have bought this stock Dell machine in the first place :-/.

Karel.