Andrew Walrond wrote:

I have tried unsuccessfully to install FreeBSD 5.2.1 from downloaded isos.

I have the i386 isos, but the first machine I tried was an Asus SK8N motherboard with Amd Opteron and 2Gb ram. The various hardware is shown as supported on the Hardware list; notably the Promise SATA150 TX2 disk controller.

Although this is an Amd64, I assume the 386 version should still install OK?

Anyhow, I booted from cd disk 1, went through the various questions, auto partitioned and it began "Extracting ... into / directory". This went well for a few minutes, lots of disk activity, then
Panic - page fault
CPUID 0

and was informed that the machine would reboot after 15seconds.

I tried again, this time booting without ACPI, with the same results.

Any suggestions?

Andrew Walrond

My AMD64 machine couldn't even boot from the i386 install CD. A kernel panic when it's booting. Not that that matters, since the AMD64 version is working just fine :)

It's quite strange though, since the AMD folks promised complete backwards compatiblity with the i386 architecture. Or they only guarantee it for Bill's software, which is also a possibility.