I'm using perl 5.8.4 on a 4.9 machine. I want to add code a perl script to check for value passed from command line. If it is null, I want to exit with an error message.

First I tried this and got "Use of uninitialized value in string eq at ./test.pl line 20."

if ($ARGV[0] eq "") {
 print "You must include the file name.";
 exit 1;
}

Next I tried this but get "Use of uninitialized value in length at ./test.pl line 20."

if (length ($ARGV[0]) = "0") { print "You must include the file name.";
exit 1;
}

I've searched the web and all examples that I've found indicate that I'm doing things correctly but obviously I'm not. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,

Drew

--
Visit The Alchemist's Warehouse