On 6/30/2004 10:34 AM Matthew Seaman wrote:

On Wed, Jun 30, 2004 at 10:17:45AM -0700, Drew Tomlinson wrote:

On 6/30/2004 10:04 AM Steve Bertrand wrote:

I know this works:

if ($ARGV[0] eq '') {
print "Debug Mode\n";
}

Thanks for your reply. I tried your suggestion and it seems to work but I get this output:

Use of uninitialized value in string eq at ./test.pl line 16.
You must include the file name.

Unless you supply at least one argument to the script, $ARGV[0] won't exist. There's a difference in perl between 'not defined' and an empty string (or zero for numerical values). Try:

   if ( @ARGV < 1 ) {
       usage();
       exit 1;
   }

or

unless ( defined $ARGV[0] ) {
usage();
exit 1;
}

Thank you very much for the explanation. Now I understand why I was getting the error message. I didn't quite understand how to use "usage();" but replaced it with a print statement. It works perfectly!

Thanks,

Drew

--
Visit The Alchemist's Warehouse