epilogue wrote:

### relevant lines from kernel device vpo device scbus device da device uhci # uhci related entries show up in dmesg device usb device ugen

Don't forget umass.
Try adding sa. My USB HDD comes up as /dev/sa0. Your ZIP drive might need sa, too.

[dmesg snipped]

[various messages snipped]

### /var/log/messages Jul 4 21:47:04 /kernel: umass0: Iomega USB Zip 100, rev 1.00/1.00, addr 2 Jul 4 21:47:04 /kernel: umass0: Get Max Lun not supported (STALLED) Jul 4 21:48:09 /kernel: umass0: BBB reset failed, IOERROR

I guess if you posted these to stable@ you might get more attention.

### mounting
i'm not sure that i 'get' which device the zip maps to nor how to determine
this. i have tried about 40 different combinations of mount (mostly
gleaned from my research), but i have yet to hit upon the right command.

# mount -t msdos /dev/da* /mnt  # * = practically every single one
msdos: /dev/da0s4: Device not configured

See above. I think USB mass storage devices require sa to work, therefore you would need sth like

mount -t msdos /dev/sa* /mnt <-- Don't know what * should be out of my head now.

Hope this helps.

Phil.