On Thu, Jul 08, 2004 at 04:23:14PM -0400, Mark Frank wrote:
> * On Thu, Jul 08, 2004 at 08:22:45PM +0100 Matthew Seaman wrote:
> > On Thu, Jul 08, 2004 at 01:29:16PM -0400, Mark Frank wrote:
> > > This isn't a life or death situation but it's the first time I've
> > > noticed this oddity.  I've always used "make search name=" from
> > > /usr/ports to find a particular port to install but it seemed to fail
> > > finding phpMyAdmin.
> > >
> > > This is on a 5.2.1-RELEASE-p9 box where I cvsup the ports tree nightly.
>
> > Actually, yes,the search capability in ports was updated and expanded
> > quite a bit recently.  Read all about it in the /usr/ports/CHANGES
> > file.
> >
> > You can now do:
> >
> >     % make search icase=1 name=phpmyadmin display=name,path,maint
> >     Port:   phpMyAdmin-2.5.7.1
> >     Maint:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> I've (now) read /usr/ports/CHANGES but the behavior for me isn't
> matching.
>
>       # pwd
>       /usr/ports
>
>       # make search icase=1 name=phpmyadmin display=name,path,maint
>
>       # make search icase=1 name=phpMyAdmin display=name,path,maint
>       Port:   phpMyAdmin-2.5.7.1
>       Maint:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>

> Am I being dense here?

Most odd.  The search target works by substituting the values you give
on the make command line into an awk script, which pulls the data out
of /usr/ports/INDEX (or INDEX-5 on 5.x) and formats it as required.
It's all in /usr/ports/Mk/bsd.port.subdir.mk

Do you have PORTSEARCH_IGNORECASE defined in your environment or in
/etc/make.conf ?  Not that that would make any difference to the
result above, as using icase on the command line will override that
value.

Hmmm... what awk(1) program is first on your path?  And if it isn't
the default version supplied with the system (/usr/bin/awk -- in 4.10
this is actually GNU Awk 3.0.6) does it support 'IGNORECASE'?  There's
this little snippet in the awk(1) man page:

                   NOTE: In versions of gawk prior  to  3.0,  IGNORECASE  only
                   affected  regular  expression  operations.   It now affects
                   string comparisons as well.

        Cheers,

        Matthew

                                                      Savill Way