I have set FBSD up on an old pentium II MMX 233 MHZ machine and everything works fine except for the mouse (serial). When using X the mouse behaves crazy i cant get it to move in any useful way.

Ive checked and checked and found: edit /etc/XF86Config and
set Protocol to "Sysmouse" and Device to "/dev/sysmouse" but this does not work- any suggestions ?

What exactly does the Section "InputDevice" for the mouse say?
Are you running moused?

I never had much luck using moused and using the mouse in X.
Try stopping moused and using protocol "auto".
The device would be "/dev/cuaa0"  or  "/dev/cuaa1".