On Wed, 14 Jul 2004, Andreas Ntaflos wrote:

configured for full duplex and auto-negotiation, and actually running
in 100baseTX-FD mode (5.1 uses rl0, 4.10 dc0, Gentoo and Windows are
also equipped with RealTek RTL8139 NICs).

From that statement, I'm almost certain the answer is "no", but are you
using any ethernet-over-USB devices?
If so, you need to get USB 2.0 working throughout the system or you'll be limited to USB 1 speeds.
I really doubt this has anything to do with your problem, but it's the only thing similar that I've seen.