On 7/21/2004 11:34 AM Joshua Tinnin wrote:

On Wednesday 21 July 2004 10:20 am, Drew Tomlinson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On 7/20/2004 3:45 PM Thompson, Jimi wrote:

FreeBSD has 3 types of distros - "CURRENT", "STABLE", and
"RELEASE". In order of increasing stability, they are:

"CURRENT" = currently in development (Alpha) and by far the least stable
of the 3

"RELEASE" = released to the populous at large (Beta) and fairly stable
but may have some issues

"STABLE" = well, just that, stable and the production release of the OS

You've got STABLE and RELEASE mixed-up.  STABLE is the beta and RELEASE
is production.  A RELEASE is a snapshot in the STABLE branch that has
been tested and deemed ready for production.  STABLE is usually "stable"
but is still a development branch and thus, beta.

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/current-stable.ht
ml

Then why do I hear that 5.2.1-RELEASE is not ready to be called STABLE? Why would it be downgraded? Why have there been no STABLE 5.x branches? Or am I just confused?

I know Charles Swiger has discussed this and pointed you to the release engineering doc but this might even simplify it further. A "RELEASE" is nothing more than a snapshot of the tree at a specific point in time. Thus a 4-STABLE release is a stable release and a 5-CURRENT is a current release. Therefore all of the CURRENT warnings apply to 5.2.1-RELEASE although it is much less likely to contain as many problems as just grabbing the most recent version of CURRENT.

I know it's confusing.

HTH,

Drew

--