> Gary Mulder wrote:
> > Of course having /tmp -> /var/tmp means that you have no valid /tmp in
> > single user mode where /var is not mounted. That is unless you created
> > /var/tmp in single user mode, but that would mean /var would be mounted
> > over the root partition's /var/tmp dir in multi-user mode, which can be
> > non-intuitive to say the least.
>
> Excellent point.  I think one is much safer having /tmp as a directory on the
> root filesystem, and using something like md(4) to mount a RAMdisk over that
> location when going into multiuser mode (or mount a real /tmp partition if you
> prefer).

Well, that is debateable.   The safest is for /tmp to be its own
partition/filesystem.  If you have it in root, and some runaway process
fills it up, it can bring the system to a grinding halt.   So, unless I
am making one of those setups where it is all one big filesystem - that
being root (/), I protect root by putting things that can grow in an
unplanned manner in separate filesystems/partitions.    Things such
as /tmp, /var/log, /var/spool, /var/db, /usr/src and user's own home
directory space if you have users on your system.   Some of these I
put in a big catch all filesystem such as /home and make sym links, but
since /tmp can be needed under inconvenient circumstances such as
when you are trying to fix something in single user, I make it its
own partition.

////jerry