On Aug 13, 2004, at 12:02 AM, jason wrote:

Bart Silverstrim wrote:

Can someone help? When I try going into /usr/ports/www/mod_perl and "make install", I get:
===> Installing for mod_perl-1.29
===> mod_perl-1.29 depends on file: /usr/local/sbin/apxs - found
===> mod_perl-1.29 depends on file: /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.4/LWP.pm - found
===> mod_perl-1.29 depends on file: /usr/local/bin/perl5.8.4 - found
===> mod_perl-1.29 depends on file: /usr/local/bin/perl5.8.4 - found
===> Generating temporary packing list
===> Checking if www/mod_perl already installed
(cd ./apaci && PERL5LIB=/usr/ports/www/mod_perl/work/mod_perl-1.29/lib: make)
make: don't know how to make /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.8.4/mach/Config.pm. Stop
*** Error code 2

I think the problem is that PERL is now at 5.8.5; when trying to portupgrade apache, I had an error to the effect that it couldn't find a perl 5.8.4 binary, and when I symlinked perl.5.8.4 to perl.5.8.5, it installed from ports. But mod_perl refuses. Is his a ports problem??

Can someone confirm this error?

System:
4.9-RELEASE-p9 FreeBSD 4.9-RELEASE-p9

-Bart
Don't link stuff like perl unless you know what you are doing. Read the usr/ports/UPDATING for info on perl. To make things easy on you what version of perl is listed in you /etc/make.conf, is it 5.8.4? You then want to install the new port of perl and then type $use.perl port in the work dir(I think) to tell bsd you have 5.8.5. Check make.conf to see if it is updated, it wasn't for me so I changed it by hand. $perl -v should id itself as the right version. You must also rebuild every port that depends on perl. There is a 3 line portupgrade command in UPDATING that I could not get to work so I upgraded them all. That takes a while with over 200 ports.

I never *know* what I'm doing. The seat of my pants have wings :-)

I did just recently update to perl 5.8.5 (via portupgrade). I have since done a make deinstall, make clean, and make reinstall on it as well. It should be in the updates.

I think there's a make or conf file calling for that condition to be checked as a dependency. It seems to work properly with that link, once it got by the "check" stage of the make. I didn't like that workaround either, but making all those ports via deinstall/clean/install still wasn't fixing the error. :-/

The second problem is that this server, due to following instructions from the software installed on it, had some bsdpan modules installed on it that are screwing with the port database (missing origins, etc.) and I'm trying to gauge whether I can install all the p5 modules instead of bsdpan modules to replace them and if so how to remove the bsdpan modules without interfering with the ports version. so far when I slam into an error I've been able to go into the ports tree and uninstall then clean then install and that seems to clear it up (and hopefully get the ports database into a consistent state).

*sigh* This is experience, it's a good thing...this is experience, it's a good thing...

-Bart