From: thrawn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thursday, August 19, 2004 6:18 am

> Hi,
>
> I have just brought this KVM switch:
> http://www.level1.com/products3.php?sklop=20&id=590430
>
> But Im having major problems with getting the mouse to work under
> FreeBSD. Even the keyboard does not work sometimes. This KVM switch
> has
> support for hotkey and also supports emulation on both mouse and
> keyboard.
> When I boot up my system and see the BIOS on the computer the
> keyboard
> works just fine. Then when it continues to boot and comes to the
> loader,
> it still works. And the it starts to load the kernel. But then when
> get to the login prompt the keyboard does not work.
>
> And sometimes even thought I stay with the computer the hole boot
> process I can't even use the keyboard. So I have to use ssh to
> login to
> the computer and make it reboot to regain the keyboard. I have also
> tried to change the cables but I get the same results. And It works
> with
> no problems under Windows XP Pro.
>
> The system that im using is FreeBSD 5.2.1-p9, at least on this system.
>
> I  have also two other computers that Im running FreeBSD-stable on.
> On
> one of my FreeBSD-stable machines I have hade a working mouse under
> Windows System (Xorg latest from ports).
>
> But then I rebooted the system and when I started xdm, it found the
> mouse but when I move it around It didn't move like it should. It
> took
> some seconds before it moved and it did not move like it should,
> jumps
> several ramdom cm/inches on the screen (Perhaps in the direction
> that I
> move the mouse im not sure). Its on usable in other words.
>
> I have also tryied to use moused under FreeBSD but I get the same
> fault/problem. I also have a problem if I do not have this machine
> selected when I boot. Then when I switch to it when the boot of the
> FreeBSD system has complete, The screen on the monitor just blinks.
>
> Still the keyboard works because I can press two times Left Ctrl
> and
> then 1 to 4 to change the computer Im controlling. This I can not
> do
> with the FreeBSD 5.2.1-p9 system I can only see the screen but have
> change the computer im controlling by pressing the button on the
> switch box.
>
> I have tried to remove the cables and put them back again. But that
> does
> not help, the only solution I can see is to reboot the system and
> let it
> boot with it selected. I have also booted up with the mouse
> directly
> connected to the computer. Then when the system boot was completed
> moved the mouse around to see that it did work. After that I
> plugged
> [...]

Aloha Mattias

This all sounds familiar. I too had a lot of trouble
with a KVM switch. Actually, I tried two with the same
problem you are alluding to.

I came to the conclusion that the mouse will not work
through the KVM switch using FBSD, or at least I never
got it to.

I have two computers that are both running 5.2.1

I have connected a mouse directly to each computer.
I still had to shutdown both computers and connect
the cables for the monitor and keyboard from each to
the KVM. I also connected and old mouse to the output
of the KVM.

With all this connected, I then powered up both computers. All seems to work fine with
the inconvenience
of having to use 2 meese. I seldom have to go into one
fo the computers, so I can live with it.

This is probably not the answer you were looking for
but you were also looking for others who had problems.

Best of Luck
Robert