On 24 Aug, 2004, at 16:07, stheg olloydson wrote:

it was said:

Ok, just to be certain about this.

I have 4.8 installed and am about to do a cvsup

here is my stable-supfile

*default host=cvsup1.us.freebsd.org
*default base=/usr/local/etc/cvsup
*default prefix=/usr
*default release=cvs tag=RELENG_4
*default delete use-rel-suffix

src-all

And I put my refuse file in /usr/local/etc/cvsup/sup/

Am I ready to roll?

Hello,

If you mean are you ready to update your base system to 4-STABLE, then
yes, you're ready to roll. If you mean are you ready to update your
entire system to the latest production release, then, no, you're not
ready to roll.
What are you trying to accomplish?

Regards,

Stheg

Right, just to 4-STABLE for now. After this I want to then try to upgrade to 5.x. Let's see how this goes first.

Thanks!

BTW! After updating to 4-STABLE do I then perform all the following steps?

Go to /usr/src
enter the command: make buildworld KERNCONF=yourkernelname
then: make kernel
reboot
go to /usr/src and type: make installworld

And what is a good kernel name?  Maybe in this case, kernel.STABLE ?