Bill Schmitt (SW) wrote:
[ ... ]
Considering all of that, my questions are:
- Am I being unrealistic in choosing a machine with a 300MHz processor?

No. But a faster CPU wouldn't hurt, either.

- If I add another 128MB of memory, should I expect to see a dramatic improvement?

Adding more memory is probably the most cost-effective way of improving performance.

- Could the graphics adapter itself be the bottleneck?

Yes. A video card with 2MB of RAM is obsolete by today's standards.

- If I picked up a newer graphics adapter that was supported by xorg, would a switch to 5.x and/or xorg be expected to pick up the speed a bit?

A switch to 5.x is likely to slow things down. Switching to xorg might help a little.

--
-Chuck