I just finishing installing 5.3. I was going to compose an email saying how well
it worked for me. Appending to this thread seems applicable.

I have a 9 year old Dell Inspiron 7500. With 5.1 and 5.2 I had issues with the
ACPI (Intel's gift to the work, I am told) and the ep driver, so I had to drop
back to 4.10

I just reinstalled a 5.2 CD and cvsup'd to RELENG_5. Everything worked like a
charm.  All ACPI errors were handled and even the ep driver worked. 5.3 may or
may not be ready for production servers but it is ready for prime time as a
workstation.  I am not sure where Kris found such ancient hardware to test on,
but thanks. I hope to keep using this thing until 64 bit processors become
cheap.

On Tue, 21 Sep 2004, Kevin D. Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P. wrote:

> Curtis Vaughan wrote:
>
> > Isn't 5.3 supposed to be going stable here soon?  Any time line?
> >
> > Also, since I have 5.3-BETA1 and I see it's at 5.3-BETA5, should I
> > worry about upgrading to BETA5 or just wait till it goes stable?
> >
> > Curtis
>

> http://www.freebsd.org/releases/5.3R/schedule.html
>
> Kevin Kinsey

_____