W. D. wrote:

At 23:11 9/24/2004, Donald J. O'Neill wrote:

W.D. it's your cron job I'm looking, so I'll talk about it. It would work, probably most of the time. Your example has both portsdb -Uu and make index in it. Just use one, otherwise you're building INDEX-5 twice. Running pkgdb -fu (by the way, make that -uf instead, I know it doesn't make any difference but I look at it and laugh too hard to think about anything else)

Yeah, I guess we really want to un-eff the database, rather than eff-up the database. ;^)

won't do the trick in the case were you've deleted something and the now missing dependencies were not taken care of.

How would one know when this has occurred?

Portupgrade's utilities will gripe at you, and not complete their assigned tasks (e.g., you type "portsdb -uU" and it returns something similar to "stale dependency: pkgfoo-2.1 -> pkgbar-3.2 run pkgdb manually to fix, or specify -F to force")

You're going to have to do pkgdb -fF and manually remove the bad dependencies.

I am clueless here. How would one do this if/when
it would happen.

Y.A.C.A. (Yet Another Classic Article):

http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/bsd/2001/11/29/Big_Scary_Daemons.html

This time by Michael Lucas, and yes, it's older than the last, but the
concepts are there to be found ....

HTH,

KDK