Kris Kennaway wrote:

On Sun, Oct 10, 2004 at 03:47:30PM -0400, Alan Gerber wrote:

I recently decided to update my 5.2.1-p9 system to the latest beta to check out the improvements in ACPI code on my Dell Latitude D600 laptop. So I updated sources and went through the usual [build|install][world|kernel] procedure as described in the handbook: http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/makeworld.html

I decided to go with the GENERIC kernel and rebuild it later with my specific options - everything built successfully and it looked like everything was going great, although I did note that I was updating much more in the mergemaster step than I was originally expecting. But I muddled through it and it finally came time to reboot into beta-7.

When I did reboot, I got a pretty big surprise - it appears that the kernel can't find any of its modules. In the "Bootstrap Loader" portion of the startup sequence (I *think* it is boot2 - just before you get the beastie screen asking you if you want to start with ACPI disabled, verbose mode, safe mode, etc), it appears to load the snd_emu10k1.ko and sound.ko modules. I'd expect this since my system is equipped with that style sound card.

However, just after the beastie screen goes away to allow the boot to continue, I get the message "ACPI autoload failed - no such file or directory" as the first line of text, before any of the other kernel-outputted text. A couple of other interesting messages follow. One tells me that kldload can't load star_saver, reporting a "No such file or directory" error. I also get a message saying that /dev/mixer doesn't exist (and indeed it doesn't -- nor is there any sign of a sound device in the dmesg output).

When I execute kldstat, I get the entries I would expect back - kernel, snd_emu10k1.ko, sound.ko, and est.ko (of the enhanced speedstep driver fame - I was running it on 5.2.1). If I try to manually load a module, such as the star_saver (this is the only thing I've done since loading acpi.ko isn't a good idea), it works.

Well, where are your modules?

Kris

They all exist in /boot/kernel

--