I have a backups 280 and there is no serial port on it.  Are you
sure your looking at the right thing?  In any case a 280 is barely
enough to keep a PC powered much less a PC and monitor.  I use mine
for my DSL modem and DSL router.

There's lots of SmartUPS 450 UPSs on Ebay.  Find one that the seller
isn't claiming that he has 'refurbished' with new batteries.  Buy it
and when it arrives just buy new batteries from any electrical store
and give them your old ones.  (since it's going to be a given that
the batteries will be toasted no matter what the seller claims)

APS themselves also sells refurbs off their website.

Ted