On 10/29/04 08:48 PM, Mike Tancsa sat at the `puter and typed:
> On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 18:34:12 -0400, in sentex.lists.freebsd.questions
> you wrote:
> >
> >The system is a fairly new (3 months old) Dell 8300; 3Ghz Pentium with
> >HT enabled.  The disk controller is an Intel ICH5 SATA controller, as
> >mentioned above.  The disk is a WDC WD1600JD-75HBB0 (Western Digital).
> >
> >Last time I asked about this, it was suggested that the drive might be
> >bad.  The bios had a test that passed the drive.  It was then
> >suggested that I use the WD test utility.  I wasn't able to do this at
> >the time because I don't have a floppy on this system, and creating a
> >bootable CD from the image didn't work (I think it had a: hardcoded
> >in).  Well, I finally broke down and hijacked the floppy from another
> >machine and ran the WD diags.  Passed with flying colors, both the
> >quick test and the extended test.  The drive is fine.
> >

> A useful program on RELENG_5 is
> /usr/ports/sysutils/smartmontools/
>
> have a quick look to see if there are any bad sectors on the drive.
> Run the daemon, and do a snapshot (smartctl -a ad0) before and after
> the crash and see if there is anything new recorded on the drive.

Will do, but I'm pretty sure at least one of the three utilities I've
already run would have found a bad sector . . .

> >So today I was building OpenOffice and everything came to a screeching
> >halt again.  See the log entries above.
> >Same result the other poor schmuck got when he tried it.  There was
> >also a suggestion that HT be turned off.  Kinda defeats the whole
>
> HT works against you unless the scheduler is specifically aware of it,
> and right now the ULE scheduler is broken. For sure turn HT off in
> your BIOS and make sure you use SCHED_4BSD and NOT ULE

I am using SCHED_4BSD, not ULE.

> >Anyone have any other suggestions, info, whatever?  I'll try turning
>
> What does  your kernel config look like ?

Attached below . . .

Thanks for your response.

Lou

#
# KEYSLAPPER custom kernel config - Adapted from FreeBSD 5.2.1 GENERIC

machine         i386
cpu             I686_CPU
ident           GENERIC

options         SCHED_4BSD              #4BSD scheduler
options         INET                    #InterNETworking
options         INET6                   #IPv6 communications protocols
options         FFS                     #Berkeley Fast Filesystem
options         SOFTUPDATES             #Enable FFS soft updates support
options         UFS_ACL                 #Support for access control lists
options         UFS_DIRHASH             #Improve performance on big directories
options         MD_ROOT                 #MD is a potential root device
options         NFSCLIENT               #Network Filesystem Client
options         NFSSERVER               #Network Filesystem Server
options         NFS_ROOT                #NFS usable as /, requires NFSCLIENT
options         MSDOSFS                 #MSDOS Filesystem
options         CD9660                  #ISO 9660 Filesystem
options         PROCFS                  #Process filesystem (requires PSEUDOFS)
options         PSEUDOFS                #Pseudo-filesystem framework
options         COMPAT_43               #Compatible with BSD 4.3 [KEEP THIS!]
options         COMPAT_FREEBSD4         #Compatible with FreeBSD4
options         SCSI_DELAY=15000        #Delay (in ms) before probing SCSI
options         KTRACE                  #ktrace(1) support
options         SYSVSHM                 #SYSV-style shared memory
options         SYSVMSG                 #SYSV-style message queues
options         SYSVSEM                 #SYSV-style semaphores
options         _KPOSIX_PRIORITY_SCHEDULING #Posix P1003_1B real-time extensions
options         KBD_INSTALL_CDEV        # install a CDEV entry in /dev
options         AHC_REG_PRETTY_PRINT    # Print register bitfields in debug
                                        # output.  Adds ~128k to driver.
options         AHD_REG_PRETTY_PRINT    # Print register bitfields in debug
                                        # output.  Adds ~215k to driver.
options         IPFIREWALL
options         IPDIVERT
options         PFIL_HOOKS              # pfil(9) framework
options         VESA                    # VESA support

options         INVARIANT_SUPPORT       #Extra sanity checks of internal structures,
required by INVARIANTS

options         SMP                     # Symmetric MultiProcessor Kernel
device          apic                    # I/O APIC

device          isa
device          eisa
device          pci

# Floppy drives - None present
# device                fdc

# ATA and ATAPI devices
device          ata
device          atadisk                 # ATA disk drives
device          ataraid                 # ATA RAID drives
device          atapicd                 # ATAPI CDROM drives
device          atapifd                 # ATAPI floppy drives
device          atapist                 # ATAPI tape drives
options         ATA_STATIC_ID           #Static device numbering

# SCSI peripherals
device          scbus           # SCSI bus (required for SCSI)
device          ch              # SCSI media changers
device          da              # Direct Access (disks)
device          sa              # Sequential Access (tape etc)
device          cd              # CD
device          pass            # Passthrough device (direct SCSI access)
device          ses             # SCSI Environmental Services (and SAF-TE)

# atkbdc0 controls both the keyboard and the PS/2 mouse
device          atkbdc          # AT keyboard controller
device          atkbd           # AT keyboard
device          psm             # PS/2 mouse

device          vga             # VGA video card driver

device          splash          # Splash screen and screen saver support

# syscons is the default console driver, resembling an SCO console
device          sc

device          agp             # support several AGP chipsets

# Floating point support - do not disable.
device          npx

# Power management support (see NOTES for more options)
#device         apm
# Add suspend/resume support for the i8254.
device          pmtimer

# PCCARD (PCMCIA) support
# Pcmcia and cardbus bridge support
device          cbb                     # cardbus (yenta) bridge
device          pccard                  # PC Card (16-bit) bus
device          cardbus                 # CardBus (32-bit) bus

# Serial (COM) ports
device          sio             # 8250, 16[45]50 based serial ports

# Parallel port
device          ppc
device          ppbus           # Parallel port bus (required)
device          lpt             # Printer
device          plip            # TCP/IP over parallel
device          ppi             # Parallel port interface device

# If you've got a "dumb" serial or parallel PCI card that is
# supported by the puc(4) glue driver, uncomment the following
# line to enable it (connects to the sio and/or ppc drivers):
#device         puc

# PCI Ethernet NICs.
# device        de      # DEC/Intel DC21x4x (``Tulip'')
# device        em      # Intel PRO/1000 adapter Gigabit Ethernet Card
# device        txp     # 3Com 3cR990 (``Typhoon'')
# device        vx      # 3Com 3c590, 3c595 (``Vortex'')

# PCI Ethernet NICs that use the common MII bus controller code.
# NOTE: Be sure to keep the 'device miibus' line in order to use these NICs!
device          miibus  # MII bus support
device          fxp     # Intel EtherExpress PRO/100B (82557, 82558)
device          re      # RealTek 8139C+/8169/8169S/8110S
device          rl      # RealTek 8129/8139
device          xl      # 3Com 3c90x (``Boomerang'', ``Cyclone'')

# Wireless NIC cards
device          wlan    # 802.11 support
device          an      # Aironet 4500/4800 802.11 wireless NICs.
device          awi     # BayStack 660 and others
device          wi      # WaveLAN/Intersil/Symbol 802.11 wireless NICs.

# Pseudo devices - the number indicates how many units to allocate.
device          random          # Entropy device
device          loop            # Network loopback
device          ether           # Ethernet support
device          sl              # Kernel SLIP
device          ppp             # Kernel PPP
device          tun             # Packet tunnel.
device          pty             # Pseudo-ttys (telnet etc)
device          md              # Memory "disks"
device          gif             # IPv6 and IPv4 tunneling
device          faith           # IPv6-to-IPv4 relaying (translation)

# The `bpf' device enables the Berkeley Packet Filter.
# Be aware of the administrative consequences of enabling this!
device          bpf             # Berkeley packet filter

# USB support
device          uhci            # UHCI PCI->USB interface
device          ohci            # OHCI PCI->USB interface
device          usb             # USB Bus (required)
device          ugen            # Generic
device          uhid            # "Human Interface Devices"
device          ukbd            # Keyboard
device          ulpt            # Printer
device          umass           # Disks/Mass storage - Requires scbus and da
device          ums             # Mouse
device          urio            # Diamond Rio 500 MP3 player
device          uscanner        # Scanners
# USB Ethernet, requires mii
device          aue             # ADMtek USB ethernet
device          axe             # ASIX Electronics USB ethernet
device          cue             # CATC USB ethernet
device          kue             # Kawasaki LSI USB ethernet

device          pcm             # Onboard sound.