Jay O'Brien wrote:

Jonathan Chen wrote:

On Sat, Oct 30, 2004 at 10:27:41PM -0700, Jay O'Brien wrote:

Andrew Jones wrote:

Jay O'Brien wrote:

Ok, what DO I do to shut down gnome if I don't want it running?

ctrl+alt+backspace. It crashes the xserver though, but it'll exit.

Nope. It doesn't work for me. With gdm/X running, ctl+alt+bksp goes first to black screen then comes back with a new logon window. If I do it enough times, it reports to the virtual terminal "The display server has been shut down about 6 times in the last 90 seconds, it is likely that something bad is going on. I will wait for two minutes before trying again on display :0." and then it comes back on.

Turn the gdm entry in /etc/ttys to "off". kill -HUP 1. Then kill the
gdm process.

There is no gdm entry in /etc/ttys. kill -HUP 1 doesn't seem to have any effect. However.....

In top, killing XFree86 or gdmlogin restarts GNOME. killing them both results in a "No such process" error on gdmlogin process and GNOME restarts. However, killing the gdm binary that is in "poll" state does the job; killing it causes all four of the processes to drop out of the top display.

Interesting. Thanks everyone, your suggestions helped me find an answer that works. I don't think it should be this difficult, tho!

Jay

When you started with a login manager the ctrl-alt-backspace=restart X. I use kdm, If for some reason I want to exit to terminal I use a terminal (logged in as root) and type:

killall kdm

You could try that for gdm.

-yuri