Jon Adams wrote:

BTW: please do not tell me to try Oracle 9i, or that I should use another version of FreeBSD, or something like that, I am locked in this hardware and OS, so I need to get it to work with the current setup as much as possible.

What about PostgreSQL? :-)
I had a hard enough time getting Oracle 9i2 installed and working with Redhat 7.3 for a Compiere ERP/CRM setup

http://www.puschitz.com/InstallingOracle9i.shtml
Follow that guide and setup a test system using Redhat 7.x. Once you are comfortable with installing/setting up/running Oracle on this platform you can tranfer that knowledge into setting it up in Linux Compat Mode (which essentially is redhat 7.2) on FreeBSD. Thats the only advice I can offer.