Nikolas Britton wrote:

Jon Adams wrote:

BTW: please do not tell me to try Oracle 9i, or that I should use another version of FreeBSD, or something like that, I am locked in this hardware and OS, so I need to get it to work with the current setup as much as possible.

What about PostgreSQL? :-)
I had a hard enough time getting Oracle 9i2 installed and working with Redhat 7.3 for a Compiere ERP/CRM setup

http://www.puschitz.com/InstallingOracle9i.shtml
Follow that guide and setup a test system using Redhat 7.x. Once you are comfortable with installing/setting up/running Oracle on this platform you can tranfer that knowledge into setting it up in Linux Compat Mode (which essentially is redhat 7.2) on FreeBSD. Thats the only advice I can offer.

PostGres is fine, I use it in production on a Linux box that I host sites on, but for the applications on my FBSD box, they _have_ to have Oracle 8i (hardware doesnt support a newer version), but I will be replicating Oracle 8i databases, stored procs, triggers, sequences, etc... dont want to have to port the databases back and forth between a different platfrom (i.e. PostGres).. note this isnt a production system

I have set up Oracle on Linux before.. 4 times, on Red Had 7.1 and 7.2... Its not that I dont know how to set up Oracle.. my problem is really not that deep, its just that somehow the system cant find libdl even though its there in /compat/linux/lib and i am using /compat/linux/bin/bash as the shell.... I know either something is wrong with my environment vars or I need to put an -L/compat/linux/lib somewhere in the Oracle installation... I just cannot figure out which it is...

Thanks though...

Jon Adams - "Chance favors the prepared mind"
email: [EMAIL PROTECTED] | [EMAIL PROTECTED]
web: http://webpages.uncc.edu/~jkadams
AOL IM: j2k4real
GPG Sig: 2965 F58A 5DF8 B4C5 16D2 0AB4 ACE2 C4A1 D105 50D2

-- This message has been scanned for viruses and dangerous content by MailScanner, and is believed to be clean. MailScanner thanks transtec Computers for their support.