[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Ok thanks for the detail response. I guess my confusion came from several
places - the handbook explicity gives an example where you can refuse ports that aren't relevant to your environment (i refuse several such as
japanese, chinese)...

Hmm. I wonder if we should consider mentioning that you don't want to do this if you intend to make index ... I'll mention it on doc@ and see what comes up.

Can you explain (if you know off hand) why make fetchindex would fix the
problem (it did without adding the ports)?

Yes. "make fetchindex" downloaded a copy of the complete index database from one of the ftp servers, thus bypassing the problem of "make"ing it on your box.

As a side but unrelated question it seems that recent updates to the port
colleciton (such as mozilla, mplayer and netscape) have bad values (either
size of time stamps) for the objects they are to fetch - do you know why
this is happening (aka is it specific to me?)

thanks,
Alan

Hmm. Is that "local modification time does not match remote"?

If you have downloads from fetch that have been interrupted (as
I do sometimes at home where I have a slow and occasionally unreliable
ppp link), you can fix that one by deleting the aborted files from /usr/ports/distfiles
and running "make install" or "make install clean" (or whatever) again.

HTH,

KDK