Joshua Lokken wrote:

On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 19:37:40 +0000, Jonathon McKitrick
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On Fri, Dec 10, 2004 at 01:32:33PM -0600, Joshua Lokken wrote:
: from 'man portupgrade(1)':

: : -r : --recursive Act on all those packages depending on the : given packages as well. : : -R : --upward-recursive Act on all those packages required : by the given packages as well. [snip] : : It sounds like you are / were not sure of what those options : actually do. Have a read of the manpage; it'll do you worlds : of good.

Actually, it WAS what I was trying to do. I wanted to >upgrade gnome2-lite
and all the packages it required, because gnome2-lite is >a meta-port.

If you're trying to upgrade a large bunch of ports like gnome,
you may want to start by running portupgrade on the required libraries. For example, although I usually install
XFree86-4 via the meta-port, when I want to upgrade it, I
generally run 'portupgrade -r XFree86-4-libraries', which first
upgrades the libs, then all the ports (including the rest of
the XFree86 stuff) that require XFree86-4-libraries. YMMV.

If you're upgrading gnome2, what you *really* wanna do is use the FreeBSD-Gnome Project's "gnome_upgrade.sh" script. Can't say for sure about "gnome-lite", though :-|

Kevin Kinsey