Matthew Seaman wrote:
Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:

I think there's more FreeBSD installations than Apple installations,
way, way more.  Obscurity is in the eye of the beholder.  And talk is
cheap.  The FreeBSD documentation team has already asked the FreeBSD
community to do a site redesign, see here:

http://www.freebsd.org/docproj/current.html#website-css

Nobody has stepped up to do it.  Since your so hot to redesign the
site why don't you e-mail them and get going on doing it instead of
talking about it?

Errr... Not so. Admittedly, this was posted just a few days ago, but people are working on CSS-izing the FreeBSD.org web site:

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-doc/2004-December/006616.html

Elsewhere on this thread there has been some talk about organizing a design competition to see who can come up with the best concept for the site. Strikes me that a good way to do that would be along the lines of this competition to redesign the W3.org site:

    http://w3mix.web-graphics.com/entries.php

ie. take the existing content and write a style sheet to present it in the best possible way.

    Cheers,

Matthew

I'm going to be drawing up the rules for the competition soon. I think the best way to do it would indeed be to just create an HTML 4.01 Strict-compliant page and ask people to do CSS for it -- as might be done for csszengarden.com.

Kind regards,

Devon H. O'Dell