Garance A Drosihn wrote:
At 7:27 PM -0500 1/9/05, Garance A Drosihn wrote:

My main "production-system" use of FreeBSD is for a chat server, which needs to be up all the time or everyone stops "chatting" and starts yelling at me. The longest uptimes I've had so far are:

*     373 days 10 hours   (a 6-hour long power outage)
*     599 days 14 hours   (a UPS melt-down failure)
*     497 days 18 hours   (hard disk failure)

I should note that the above uptimes were running 4.x systems (and
the first one *might* even be a 3.x system).  While I had forgotten
that subject was talking about "FreeBSD 5.3", I obviously have not
been running 5.3 for the past four years!

Long uptimes = unsecured+unpatched boxes. Long uptimes? No thanks.

--
Best regards,
Chris

Magellan was the first strait man.