saravanan ganapathy wrote:

<snip>

--- Erik Norgaard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Since I am very new to freebsd, I am not sure abt the
ports collections which I don't want.

Since you are new, I will give you some (ports) advice:

1. Always update all of your ports so that you can use portupgrade.
2. Use portupgrade.
3. Read /usr/ports/UPDATING if you want things to go smoothly.
4. If you forget step 3, and step 3 happens to have some bad news in it (usually pertaining to gettext), 'portupgrade -rRf [some port]' can work wonders.
5. Don't forget to do a 'portsdb -uU' after cvsup'ing your ports.

My quick start to portupgrade: http://tabor.taborandtashell.net/serversetup/ports.html
Where I learned about portupgrade:
http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/bsd/2003/08/28/FreeBSD_Basics.html

--