Loren M. Lang wrote:
On Mon, Jan 31, 2005 at 02:16:25PM +0400, Rakhesh Sasidharan wrote:
Thanks for that link! I had read that part of the handbook a long time
ago, and that's how my ideas of boot0 and boot1 and etc etc had gotten
clear. Glad to see it once again -- in the context of my question! :))

So what I understand now is -- copying boot0 over to c:\bootsect.bsd
will *not* work. Which explains why my MBR got messed up when I tried
booting FreeBSD this way. :(

But I'm still confused. How do I install boot0 using sysinstall? As
far as I remm, sysinstall gives three options -- (a) leave the MBR
untouched, (b) put a standard MBR, and (c) install BootEasy. My
understanding is that option (b) copies boot0 to the MBR, and this
that is what I had chosen while installing FreeBSD. How does one copy
boot0 to a file using sysinstall??

I think option b is actually /boot/mbr and BootEasy refers to /boot/boot0. They are two different boot loaders, mbr being a very simple one with no configuration. I think fdisk -B is used to install /boot/mbr to the mbr of a harddisk and boot0cfg is used to install BootEasy.

I rewrote that section of the FAQ years ago (around FreeBSD 3.1!!) because the previous wording was unclear and I did _exactly_ what Rakhesh has done :-(

At that time it was not possible to add FreeBSD to the NTLDR menu if FreeBSD was on a _different disk_ so you had to either use the FreeBSD boot menu or put the FreeBSD root partition on the same disk as NT (which usually required a BIOS that could boot beyond the first 1024 cylinders) or use the FreeBSD boot manager (which used /boot/boot0).

This is what I have done ever since. As I only have a single user set up in XP it doesn't show the NTLDR menu so you don't have to go through two boot menus, just the FreeBSD F1/F5 choice.

Caveat: Things have no doubt changed since then so it may now be possible to add FreeBSD to the NTLDR menu with FreeBSD on a different disk, but I've never investigated it as I am happy with the solution I use.

HTH

Regards,

Mark

--- avast! Antivirus: Outbound message clean. Virus Database (VPS): 0504-4, 28/01/2005 Tested on: 31/01/2005 11:34:00 avast! - copyright (c) 2000-2004 ALWIL Software. http://www.avast.com