On Wed, 2 Feb 2005, Joachim Dagerot wrote:

<snip>

> I don't even know what a microphone device would be named and
> how to access it.

I've recently been screwing around with a few pieces of software
which take input from a mic (and other) devices.  The device
(under FreeBSD 5.3) seems to be of the /dev/dsp[] variety.  The
handbook has some info about it in the 'multimedia' section as I
recall.

The utility mixer(8) is pretty critical in some cases.  Among
other things, it allows one to adjust volumes ans switch input
between 'line' and 'mic' and so forth.  The man page is pretty
terse for someone like me who has only a vague interest in and
understanding of multimedia.  I got the most useful info for my
purposes out of google groups searches.

BTW, does anyone know off-hand how to set 'mixer' settings as
default (so I would not have to re-set them after a re-boot?)

Thanks,

 - Tom