Gert Cuykens wrote:
I# xhost local:
non-network local connections being added to access control list
I#

ok that seems to work a bit better meaning i dont get the message "can
not start screen saver deamon bl bla bla....." Instead i get a message
in my log that locking is not enabled ?

When I configure xscreensaver I use the xscreensaver-demo command. This allows you to set everything up for that user and start and stop the xscreensaver daemon. You run this as the local user.

There is a way to cheat xhosting as root if you are not running remotely. If you simply use "su" instead of "su -" it should keep all the environment including the DISPLAY setup correctly. This seems to work well for me.

Generally I do this to xhost from root to my user display.

$ xhost local:
$ su -
Password:

# bash