> It doesn't matter where they go.  It only matters where they may be
> expected to go by someone writing to the newspaper.

right.  And in this case, the person expects it to go to untold and
unnamed numbers of people who desire to see the message.  Which is,
after all, exactly who's seeing it.

> EK> I think there may be a fundamental misunderstanding of media going on
> EK> here.
>
> A mailing list isn't the press.

That's why this is an analogy.  I'm not saying that a mailing list is
the press, in this case, it certainly doesn't carry news, really, it's
more like the opinions section of a newspaper which is also not the
press.

> EK> Newspapers are printed on newspaper which gives them a very
> EK> short lifespan.
>
> Most libraries and newspapers have archives going back for decades.

Likewise, most mailing lists have archives going back for decades.

> EK> More importantly, e-mail by its nature is delivered to mail servers
> EK> which almost without exception store the mail to a persistent data
> EK> store (often an hard disk). In this way, mail is archived (sometimes
> EK> nearly permanently) and is not ephemeral at all.
>
> These archives are not accessible to the general public.

Generally true, though there are exceptions.

> Note that it is perfectly possible to set up a mailing list that forbids
> local archiving, or any archiving at all.  Some mailing lists have good
> reason to do this.

I simply don't see how a mailing list would forbid local archiving,
that simply is how email works.  The message goes out and sits on the
computer that it was sent to.  Certainly there is no way to outlaw it
being stored on that server.

[the next in regards to papers not publishing guidelines for
submitting, but only a method]
(the content must have accidentally gotten snipped)
> EK> Many also do not.
>
> They take a greater risk.

Perhaps they take a greater risk, or perhaps things are simpler than
that.  Perhaps, upon submitting something according to the simple
instructions with intent for it to be published, it gets published as
the general populous would expect...Often things are not complicated.

--
If I write a signature, my emails will appear more personalised.