On Feb 11, 2005, at 3:16 PM, Anthony Atkielski wrote:

Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC writes:

many in no way means a majority.  many is more than a few, where a few
is a handful (3-5 or so).  There are probably more than a handful who
do it as more than a hobby.  A lot of good people do it on their own
time as well, and I salute that.  But a lot of people like Yahoo and
others (Apple probably) submit stuff that ends up in FreeBSD and they
pay their people to do so.  Lots of features, like jails as I
understand it, started off by someone getting paid to implement stuff.

I hope people are not being as careless as you imply. Being paid to write code as an employee means relinguishing copyright in the code to one's employer. If people are actually doing this for FreeBSD, then some of the code in FreeBSD is owned by their employers, which can become a legal nightmare and stop the project dead in its tracks overnight. Aren't there any _lawyers_ working on this project?

Sorry, but the employers are freely offering the code and assigning copyrights as necessary.

Chad