On Mon, 21 Mar 2005, Danny wrote:

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 09:15:06 -0600 (CST), RacerX <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On Mon, 21 Mar 2005, Danny wrote:

On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 01:52:40 -0800, Ted Mittelstaedt
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of Anthony
Atkielski
Sent: Saturday, March 19, 2005 11:29 PM
To: freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject: Re: MS Exchange server on FreeBSD?

If the database becomes corrupted, which is highly unlikely, you must
restore it from your last backup (every mail administrator takes
frequent backups, which can be done online with Exchange).

Only if you purchase a backup software.

You are totally 100% wrong. NTBackup is included with Windows, and is fully supported by Microsoft.

If you want to use windows backup you must shut down exchange because windows
backup will not back up open files.

Wrong. Have you bothered to read Microsoft's Exchange Backup & Restore Guide?

 Also, a file based backup is pointless because it takes the mail store in one
fell swoop,
it does not back up (nor allow you to restore) individual mailboxes.

Once again, obviously you are not aware of the features present in version 2003.

This is yet another high-cost item, backup software that is written
to use the hooks in exchange to back it up is expensive.

Wrong, again. One word: NTBackup. Regardless of the free backup software included with Windows, if you have been mis-informed and think that you *need* 3rd party backup software, well, the Exchange backup agents are a couple of hundred dollars. Pretty cheap when you consider the value of corporate email these days -- but like I say, they are not necessary; read the Exchange Backup & Restore Guide.

By contrast under UNIX, you can use tar to backup the /var/mail
directories and you can definitely restore an individual mailbox
if you want to.

Yup, but you do not know Exchange, so stop talking about it.

...D

NTBackup won't restore brick level

Well, for brick level you would use ExMerge -- another free tool from Microsoft.

...D

In any event - we're not here to argue what apps can do what for Exchange. The OP wanted an alternative - he got several that I posted.

Now, this thread needs to end here.