Hi Boris,
  I haven't had an opportunity to work with any AMD64 hardware yet,
but have had good results with 5.4.? on i686.  I can relate to your
frustration, but can say that I was able to greatly improve 5.x
performance with some effort.  For example I went from a maximum
sustained disk write of 15Mb/s to 90Mb/s on a file server.  That said,
to help you get a better response to your question I would suggest
trying these things:

- Document and post your testing procedures and results.  This will
allow others to get a much clearer picture of what may be happening.
As I'm sure you know support via e-mail is very difficult because
there is so much information that is missing.

- You may want to try the performance list if you don't get any
answers from this list.

- File a problem report so that the developers are aware of your
situation.  I don't think that they spend allot of time on this list.

(http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/problem-reports/index.html)

I hope this helps!
--Nick

What optimizations have you done to this point?