> I'm not sure if you've done this already, but the normal suggestions apply:
> have you compiled with INVARIANTS/WITNESS/DDB/KDB/BREAK_TO_DEBUGGER, and do
> any results / panics / etc result?  Sometimes these debugging tools are able
> to convert hangs into panics, which gives us much more ability to debug them.

OK, I have now had a machine hand again, with the correct debug options in
the kernel. The screen looked like this when I went to restart it:

        http://toybox.twisted.org.uk/~pete/71_lor2.png

It had not, however, dropped into any kind of debugger. Also there appear
to me console messages after the lock order reversal - is that normal ?

The machine did stay up for a signifanct amount of time before doing this. I
notice that it is more or less identical to the one I posted whenI
had WITNESS_KDB in the kernel too, so maybe those results arent
entirely suprious after all ?

Given it hasnt dropped to a debugger, is there anything else I can try ?

-pete.